VITAL IMMIGRANT DEFENSE ADVOCACY & SERVICES (VIDAS)
STAFF ATTORNEY – 80 OR 100% TIME
VIDAS was founded by grassroots community activists in Sonoma County to provide critical immigrant legal services and advocate for comprehensive immigration reform. VIDAS provides a full range of legal advocacy, including asylum, DACA, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, U and T visas, family-based petitions, waivers, adjustment of status, and naturalization. VIDAS also specializes in removal defense advocacy, including appeals to the BIA and federal courts through the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. VIDAS has offices in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Vallejo, and on the Santa Rosa Junior College and Napa Valley College campuses. We provide services to clients in surrounding counties and envision a more just and inclusive north bay for all.
VIDAS seeks an experienced bilingual (Spanish-English) Attorney to work within either Sonoma or Solano County to represent immigrants in removal proceedings in the San Francisco (and, possibly, Concord or Sacramento) Immigration Courts. VIDAS will consider applicants who are available for four (4) or five (5) days per week for this position. VIDAS will also consider some portion of hybrid/telework.
The Staff Attorney will report to the Legal Director and will be expected to:
- Provide legal advice and counsel on immigration issues, including participating in immigration clinics and assisting with emergency cases;
- Provide direct representation to non-detained immigrants in master and individual hearings in San Francisco and Sacramento, and, possibly, by telephonic or online appearance in other venues;
- Engage in client-centered, thoughtful, communicative advocacy, including responding to clients quickly and being engaged and available throughout the process;
- Prepare motions, applications, briefs and exhibits of evidence for advocacy before the Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, Immigration and Customs Enforcement Field Office, and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services;
- Develop and present training/guidance materials on immigration law issues affecting immigrants and their families for Know Your Rights and other community education opportunities;
- Provide hands-on mentorship to VIDAS paralegal staff, equipping them to work effectively in preparing applications, declarations, and other documents needed for representation;
- Assist in oversight of progress on objectives and deliverables for grant reporting, process mapping, and tracking data and outcomes;
- Facilitate cross-referrals with social services, mental health and medical providers;
- Support Legal Director and Executive Director with project management tasks, including reporting, and funder and media relations.
- Member of the California (or possibly other state) bar;
- At least 1 to 3 years of experience practicing immigration law, which should include at least 6 months of representation of clients in removal proceedings, including bond, master and individual hearings;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Ability to speak, comprehend, read and write in Spanish;
- California driver’s license and vehicle for travel
Salary range is $70,000 to 85,000 for 100% time, depending on experience, prorated if working at 80% time. Benefits include full medical coverage (Kaiser Gold), 13 paid holidays, generous paid time off and sick leave allowances, and career development opportunities.
- Applications, including a cover letter, resume, legal writing sample and contact information for three professional references, should be emailed to our Executive Director, Monica Julian, at email@example.com with cc. to Legal Director Richard Coshnear, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications should be submitted as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified.
- VIDAS is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.